facebook twitter Tell a Friend
SignUp
Search
En Français
Tweet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
40%
 40%  [ 24 ]
Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon
59%
 59%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 59

canalrunner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither will be a world class marathon until one of them decides to be a marathon rather than a multi-distance event. There is not a New York, Chicago or Boston half marathon being run concurrent with their marathon for a reason.

Perhaps one should be a marathon and one should be half marathon, then there would be less traffic issues and they both can try to be world class.
kzod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canalrunner wrote:
Neither will be a world class marathon until one of them decides to be a marathon rather than a multi-distance event. There is not a New York, Chicago or Boston half marathon being run concurrent with their marathon for a reason.

Perhaps one should be a marathon and one should be half marathon, then there would be less traffic issues and they both can try to be world class.

Well, you'd know better than I, but I hear good things about Ottawa's race weekend all the time.

I do admit that I have thought about that same point, and it would probably be agreeable to Glassman to assume all the shorter distances. They'd have to flip dates to make it work, and obviously it would take a huge amount of cojones for Brookes to gamble so much on being able to build up the marathon to make it work for him. He'd need to get a minimum of 10,000 marathoners, which very few races attain (NYC, Chicago, Boston, Disney, do the Rock & Roll races even get that many?)

I wouldn't risk it myself, and doubt it could be done. I think we need one Mega-race weekend, with as many events happening concurrently as possible to max out the crowds. Once they get a zoo like atmosphere then they can start spreading out the different events.
Apr 15th: Paris Marathon
SI_Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Beach - Half - 15,800
San Diego - Full - 13,300

Nothing planned at the moment

dgrant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletics Ontario is now having its say on the issue: http://www.irun.ca/blog/index.php/athletics-ontari...
nicruns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow....
what a mess....

i like having options....
f_chick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run both events and much prefer Goodlife. It's much better organized- they have a bag check (that's not extra $) and reliable, there's massage at the end (again no charge) and lots of cheering stations along the course. Not to mention that I always PB in Goodlife's. The temp. is usually better also- a bit cooler and no humidity.

Good luck!!!
chumwat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'd love to see: In the fall, a single, massive Toronto marathon (just the marathon), but in the spring a multi-distance weekend with a point-to-point watherfront marathon beginning in Oakville and ending in Toronto's Beaches.
Gordini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chumwat - interesting argument. I love the idea of a true waterfront marathon in the spring. Although it would be great to have one massive fall marathon, the money is in the half. Attendance for halves has increased dramatically to the point where the marathon is the loss leader. I like your thinking though.
nicruns

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Responding to criticism about the traffic disruption produced by back-to-back downtown marathons this fall, council asked the city manager to review the issue and work with organizers and sponsors in hopes of developing and promoting a single event."

(that was from a blurb from the toronto star.)

fairly vague language...
"hope" & the process of "review" won't necessarily result in any sort of a solution
but i guess we'll see!
scam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait and see if this becomes an election issue in 2010 as that is what I think will determine whether any changes take place
jjosey76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend, and myself, ran the Toronto Waterfront full last fall and we were less then impressed..... Overall it was an excellent experience.... However I was coming off a 3:28 for my first ever marathon in Halifax, that spring, and expecting to drastically improve on that time.... Both of us ended up hitting the wall.... HARD..... Myself at like 24k and my girlfriend, I am not exactly sure of the mile marker..... We both finished... Myself in 4:01 (which I was totally upset with) and her 4:28??? Both almost exactly a 1/2 hour slower then our PB's.

I cant say we are not partially to blame, but there was definitely something up with the course and the weather (humidity). I personally think it is easier to run a hilly marathon then a flat or downhill one. To much repetitive stress on the exact same muscles over many many miles causing fatigue. My legs hurt wayyyyy more running the Toronto Waterfront then the Halifax Bluenose, which is an exceptionally hilly marathon.

I took out of it a valuable learning experience though being my second marathon.... I was way to cocky and I would concentrate on a lot of strength training if I was to do it again. We are still up on the fence if we ever run this again.... I personally would really love redemption on this course.......
chumwat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jjosey76: It was extremely humid, and that alone could account for your slower finish and the bonk. But I think you may also be right about flat courses not necessarily being faster.
lim314159

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say this is a flat course -- the new Queen St East route was rolling hills -- they seemed endless. I wasn't ready for that Mad

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
veggierunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the issue of 2 marathons might be getting some attention in the near future:

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100...
lim314159

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully won't take effect until 2011. Many people have signed up for both races already. I thought the race organizers require city approval before hosting their race -- yet city council wants 1 marathon and it sounds like for this year? Not sure if moving one of the races to the spring is the answer since there's already Ottawa and Mississauga. Hey, what about a December marathon?? It does seem like 1 marathon a year in Toronto, though.

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: