facebook twitter Tell a Friend
SignUp
Search
En Français
Tweet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
40%
 40%  [ 24 ]
Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon
59%
 59%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 59

purdy65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now having run both, I can say I prefer the GoodLife course. I actually think it's faster too, because despite Hoggs Hollow, the rest of it is mostly flat or downhill, and scenic. The downhill through rosedale in the fall is beautiful.

Some sections are in both courses (west end, Queens Quay)

Lisa

Mar 4 - Chilly Half
March 25 -ATB
April 16 - BOSTON!!
May 6 - Volunteer - Toronto Goodlife
May 27 - Ottawa Race Weekend half marathon
little_kenyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far into the race is the Hoggs Hollow hill? I'm running the half--hopefully the hill comes early and I dont have to worry about it in the latter part of the course.
BJH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little_kenyan wrote:
How far into the race is the Hoggs Hollow hill? I'm running the half--hopefully the hill comes early and I dont have to worry about it in the latter part of the course.

It's at about 4k.

University Ave at the end is a slight uphill. Not super hurting hard, but noticeable.
jonovision_man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda hard to see... but:

jono

Visit my blog!

"Enough of this Sunday stroll... let's hurt a little bit!" -- Muzzin, American Flyers
nicruns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk about GORGEOUS weather for the run today!
made me sorry i missed out on it this year...
(that darned zoo run is too tempting!)

but ONE of these years....

maybe next?

(we'll see...)
lim314159

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout today (and it started Friday morning), 680 news has been playing over and over why are there 2 marathons only 3 weeks apart in Toronto. Alan Brookes, race director of Waterfront Marathon is open to the idea of the 2 races becoming one, but the Toronto Marathon race director, Jay Glassman, is not. Glassman said he made the argument not to have the 2 races so close together but City Hall said they could not agree to 1 but not the other. Glassman would like to see the Waterfront Marathon moved to the spring but Brookes said that is not a possibility. If anyone's interested, I've done a pro and con of both races.

Congrats to all the finishers today. I was on University Ave and then at Queen's Park cheering the late marathoners as they treked their way to the finish line -- there were only a handful left. Can't believe the size and weight of the marathon medal!

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
jonovision_man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lim314159 wrote:
Throughout today (and it started Friday morning), 680 news has been playing over and over why are there 2 marathons only 3 weeks apart in Toronto. Alan Brookes, race director of Waterfront Marathon is open to the idea of the 2 races becoming one, but the Toronto Marathon race director, Jay Glassman, is not. Glassman said he made the argument not to have the 2 races so close together but City Hall said they could not agree to 1 but not the other. Glassman would like to see the Waterfront Marathon moved to the spring but Brookes said that is not a possibility. If anyone's interested, I've done a pro and con of both races.

Thanks for the summary, interesting. Moving one to the spring would be brilliant! I think Waterfront would be the one to move, since I'd hate to miss the fall colours in the Rosedale valley. Smile

jono

Visit my blog!

"Enough of this Sunday stroll... let's hurt a little bit!" -- Muzzin, American Flyers
lim314159

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't done the full at Toronto Marathon (plan for next year), its route is superior. The first half of the Waterfront Marathon is great (same/almost same as 2nd half of Toronto Marathon). Going south on Yonge Street is great and the Rosedale Valley part is, I agree, a highlight. A bit hilly (both up and down). Also, the weather is nicer with the colder weather for running. No wonder the Waterfront marathon race director wouldn't mind combining them and the Toronto Marathon said absolutely not. I do like the separate start times for the Toronto Marathon full and half. I am worried that Waterfront wants to continue upping their caps -- it was quite tight for the first 10 K this fall as is.

anchan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toronto Half Marathon route is far better than the Waterfront.
And I always make good time on the downhills course Very Happy
The cooler weather helps too.
Zoo 10k sep'2011
Waterfront Half oct'2011
BorisTerzic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find the Toronto Marathon to be far superior. The only thing that the Waterfront has going for it is better organizational structure and higher profile Athletes. Otherwise it loses in almost all categories.

If I had to chose to do only one I'd to the Toronto every time.

Up Coming Runs:
Chilly Half-Marathon - Mar 1st 2009
Around the Bay 30k - Mar 29th 2009
Harry's Spring Run Off 8K - Apr 4th 2009
Sporting Life 10k - May 3rd 2009
Mississauga Marathon - May 10th 2009
jeff77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with you lim. The course is way better! I give the points to toronto marathon in every area except organization. Next year I switch it up with scotia half and Toronto Full. My only hope is that they fix some start line issues I want to see corals and updated km markers.

My pro/con list

SWTM
Less weather risk.
more festive
better start line
horrible 24-30k section (commisionaire road/cherry street)

GLTM
Weather might be perfection
Downhill and fast
Free masage
Bad start line set-up
The worst section, is Scotias best section (to high park and back)
dgrant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the Waterfront race to spring would just switch the "conflict" to being with the ever-growing Mississauga Marathon rather then the Toronto Marathon.

Both of the fall Toronto races attract over 7000 runners apiece, so clearly there's a market for things just the way they are.

Here's my full take on things: http://www.irun.ca/blog/index.php/a-tale-of-two-ci...
jonovision_man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgrant wrote:
Moving the Waterfront race to spring would just switch the "conflict" to being with the ever-growing Mississauga Marathon rather then the Toronto Marathon.

Both of the fall Toronto races attract over 7000 runners apiece, so clearly there's a market for things just the way they are.

Here's my full take on things: http://www.irun.ca/blog/index.php/a-tale-of-two-ci...

Nice post.

The one thing I'd argue: The general public can understand closing roads for a marathon, but it's much harder for them to appreciate the need to do it twice in 3 weeks. Read the Star comments and you get a taste for the anger (and some fierce irrationality too). There is a growing backlash here, and if we want to continue to use public roads and facilities it's going to have to be addressed.

jono

Visit my blog!

BorisTerzic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonovision_man wrote:
The one thing I'd argue: The general public can understand closing roads for a marathon, but it's much harder for them to appreciate the need to do it twice in 3 weeks. Read the Star comments and you get a taste for the anger (and some fierce irrationality too). There is a growing backlash here, and if we want to continue to use public roads and facilities it's going to have to be addressed.

True the general public does not have an understanding and resents these events. Toronto people are not quick to embrace anything that is not considered "world class" and hate to be inconvenienced from their busy lives. If you want instant support just brand the two marathons as Boston and NYC marathons come to Toronto and they will have that "world class" appeal that the Toronto inferiority complex loves.

Up Coming Runs:
Chilly Half-Marathon - Mar 1st 2009
Around the Bay 30k - Mar 29th 2009
Harry's Spring Run Off 8K - Apr 4th 2009
Sporting Life 10k - May 3rd 2009
Mississauga Marathon - May 10th 2009
lim314159

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard on 680 News right now that City Hall wants the 2 races to be 6 months apart or combined together. It'll be interesting how it plays out. But considering City Council couldn't even take a group picture a while back, I'm not betting on this. Logical sense is to move the Scotiabank Waterfront to the spring since the Toronto Marathon has been in existance longer. Just goes to show what the media can do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: