facebook twitter Tell a Friend
SignUp
Search
En Français
Tweet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups

Treadmill vs. Outdoors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> General Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is easier, treadmill or outdoors?
Treadmill
45%
 45%  [ 39 ]
Outdoors
54%
 54%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 85

s_yee2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Outdoor running is harder for me Reply with quote

I find running outdoors to be much more difficult then treadmill running. On the treadmill I blank out and my body takes over which thankfully means time passes quickly (at least my short attention span is good for something!). When running outside I can't blank out because it's simply not safe. Outside I also have problems pacing myself. I tend to try and run faster. When I can actually SEE how fast I'm going it gets pretty depressing. I usually jog at speed 5.5 on the treadmill and I assume I'm doing great things but when I go outside and jog about the same speed I feel like I'm going slow-mo.

The wind is a huge thing for me too. Not because its hard to push my body through it, but because it makes it really hard for me to breath.
a_johns2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Glad to be here... my thoughts.... Reply with quote

Just checking in and reading about this site for the first time. This is a really great forum!

Personally I find indoor running easier physically but mentally it is taxing. I tend to love outdoor running since I have plenty of mental and visual stimulation. The indoor TVs and music at the gyms just don't do it for me Smile

Always running,

Andrew Johns
Founder, http://www.madetorun.com
i_blokland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwolf wrote:
i_blokland wrote:
A friend and I have a treadmill marathon planned for the end of December. (FYI, the WR for this is 2:21.) I'm expecting this to be quite difficult, but we'll see.

Cool! Side by side treadmills?

Treadmill marathon finished in 3:17 with a gentle 8 mph pace. The time passed quickly with the two of us yakking and the main inconvenience was the heat. Cross another silly thing off the list to make room for the next one.
veggierunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_blokland wrote:
jwolf wrote:
i_blokland wrote:
A friend and I have a treadmill marathon planned for the end of December. (FYI, the WR for this is 2:21.) I'm expecting this to be quite difficult, but we'll see.

Cool! Side by side treadmills?

Treadmill marathon finished in 3:17 with a gentle 8 mph pace. The time passed quickly with the two of us yakking and the main inconvenience was the heat. Cross another silly thing off the list to make room for the next one.

3:17?!!!!!!!! Shocked You killed it! I can't believe that anyone would attempt it, and your time is even more impressive!!! Did you and your partner run at the same pace? Anyway, congrats! That is very impressive!!!
i_blokland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggierunner wrote:
3:17?!!!!!!!! Shocked You killed it! I can't believe that anyone would attempt it, and your time is even more impressive!!! Did you and your partner run at the same pace? Anyway, congrats! That is very impressive!!!

We did the same pace and it was far enough away from our "racing" pace (sub-3) to be comfortable. Quite a few others have done this before but it was a novelty for us and a good excuse not to run outside on the ice.
s_yee2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second answer to this question. In the past 3 weeks I started running outside again and it's changed my answer.

I've done most of my running on the treadmill and only recently began running outside. A few years ago I could run at speed 5 for 40 minutes without stopping but couldn't manage to get around an indoor track once without being completely winded.

I've recently discovered that the difficulty with running outside is keeping a good pace. Recently, when I timed my mile outside I realized I was running far faster then I did inside (about 3 minutes faster) and then I would feel TERRIBLE after! I always thought I felt terrible because I was outside, but that taught me it was because I was going too fast.

Then I ran slower and I felt great and I was able to go for 40 minutes and do a 5k (my very first outside... yeah!!!!). So I think the problem with outdoor running is finding a good pace... not too fast, not too slow.... I'm still working on that. Sigh.
jwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_yee2 wrote:
Recently, when I timed my mile outside I realized I was running far faster then I did inside (about 3 minutes faster) and then I would feel TERRIBLE after! I always thought I felt terrible because I was outside, but that taught me it was because I was going too fast.

This is the most common reason for people to find it harder to run outside than on the treadmill. A three-minute per mile difference is huge-- bigger than most people can handle other than for short intervals.
imbezol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make myself run for very long on a TM. Outside there is so much more air movement to keep me cool and new things to see constantly. I get bored and too zoned in on my thoughts on the treadmill.

May 2 - Kenya Run for Water 5K
veggierunner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that running a marathon on a treadmill was mindboggling, and then I read this...

Quote:
Man celebrates birthday with 24-hour treadmill run

Posted: Feb. 3, 2009

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. A Twin Cities man was looking for a challenge, so he decided to celebrate his 30th birthday by running on a treadmill for 24 hours straight. B.J. Van Beusekom covered about 80 miles before he stopped running at noon Tuesday. He promptly went to the nearest chair and rested his obviously stiff legs.

The 6-foot, 175-pound Van Beusekom took breaks only to use the restroom and change clothes.

He accomplished his feat at Athletic Performance Inc., a training center in Brooklyn Center. To keep him motivated, API provided a dance with a disc jockey, a slumber party and a big screen television.

For the rest of his birthday, Van Beusekom says he just wants a nap and a massage.

Van Beusekom's effort also raised just over $3,000 for the American Lung Association.

http://www.wral.com/news/strange/story/4460964/

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
i_blokland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how crazy you are, there's always someone crazier. FYI, the 24-hour treadmill record is 153 miles:

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/treadmill.htm...
imbezol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's insane. I have a hard time making it an hour without getting brain freeze.

May 2 - Kenya Run for Water 5K
veggierunner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_blokland wrote:
No matter how crazy you are, there's always someone crazier.

Yes... that is definitely the moral of the story!!! Words to live by! Laughing
d_thompson34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is harder mentally or physically?

Physically, outdoor is harder. But that's a good thing. Treadmills are generally set up to be easier - makes people who use it like that brand, and maybe buy one for the home...

But mentally, treadmills are soooo boooooooring. And you can stop at any time, which then requires you to have MORE discipline to complete your run.

Give me outdoors any day. That said, weather is a factor. This is Canada...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> General Bulletin Board All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: