facebook twitter Tell a Friend
SignUp
Search
En Français
Tweet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon?
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
40%
 40%  [ 24 ]
Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon
59%
 59%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 59

Mindfulness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Scotiabank TO Waterfront vs Goodlife Fitness TO Marathon? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a fast, flat course for a first time marathon runner. Any advice regarding the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront (Sept. 27/09) versus the Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon (Oct. 18/09) would be appreciated. Have heard the winds off Lake Ontario can be challenging for the Waterfront Marathon?

Thanks!
jonovision_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodlife isn't flat - it's net downhill. Even better, right? Smile I did it last year as my first ever marathon, it was awesome.

The route through the city had me falling in love with Toronto again!

- Great crowds on Yonge
- Casa Loma
- Rosedale Valley with full fall colours
- St. Lawrence Market area lined with spectators
- Queens Quay
- Lake Ontario (the nice part Smile)
- The final run up University to Queen's Park...

I haven't run the other one, but I can't see how Cherry Street and the Docks can touch that!

jono

Visit my blog!

"Enough of this Sunday stroll... let's hurt a little bit!" -- Muzzin, American Flyers
purdy65

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Another GoodLife. I ran the Scotia half last year, and it's definitely quite an event, but I love the GoodLife course. I had an excellent race last year.

Lisa

Mar 4 - Chilly Half
March 25 -ATB
April 16 - BOSTON!!
May 6 - Volunteer - Toronto Goodlife
May 27 - Ottawa Race Weekend half marathon
kzod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well "fast & flat" is Waterfront's motto. It is fun to run downhill on Yonge st, like in sporting life's 10k, and I do enjoy the Goodlife course, but it could hammer the quads of a first timer with another 25k to go after the downhills are over.

Organization wise, it's no contest. Waterfront is leagues above Goodlife. Very classy organization and it shows. Oh,and y biggest pet peeve with Goodlife is the scarcity of water stations on the course over the 1st half. Spme of the stations are 5k apart, they boast about 20 aid stations but many are just 500m after the last one! It's never mattered since it's been cold the last 5 years, but if they ever get a hot day like Chicago it will be a nightmare.

Bias note: I've been a pace bunny at Scotiabank the last two years (well, I was sick last year so DNS), and continue to run the goodlife half as well (I like the downhill aspects of the course).
Apr 15th: Paris Marathon
lim314159

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront. I enjoy the flat route and the regular fluid stations as kzpod mentions. Also, there are more racers and the entertainment is wonderful. Although the Toronto Marathon is known for downhill, there are also uphill (e.g., Hoggs Hollow)...and the final 2K is up University Avenue. The Toronto Marathon, I think, is more challenging (although more scenic as well) -- also it can be quite cold. I've already signed up for the Scotiabank as my marathon for the fall. If you love medals, the Toronto Marathon is the better one (by a landslide!). Reality is both races are great -- just what you want.

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
SimpleHedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lim314159 wrote:
If you love medals, the Toronto Marathon is the better one (by a landslide!).

I ran the Scotiabank Half Marathon last year and was really impressed by the medal!! I guess I should run the Toronto this year!
lim314159

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love the Toronto Marathon medal: http://www.torontomarathon.com/awards.shtml#medals

It's heavy!

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
SimpleHedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lim314159 wrote:
You'll love the Toronto Marathon medal: http://www.torontomarathon.com/awards.shtml#medals

It's heavy!

So was the STWM one http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/images...

I'm new to the whole running thing, and my wife has started calling me Mutley because of my new found obsession with medals!
jonovision_man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lim314159 wrote:

It's heavy!

And spinny! Smile It's the only medal I haven't given to my kids to play with (and ultimately lose).

jono

Visit my blog!

"Enough of this Sunday stroll... let's hurt a little bit!" -- Muzzin, American Flyers
jennifermccreath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are fairly easy courses and would be great options.. i found waterfront to be flatter. i actually prefer flat than downhill. no wind issues on the waterfront this past year.
Marathon Maniac #1613
veggierunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennifermccreath wrote:
both are fairly easy courses and would be great options.. i found waterfront to be flatter. i actually prefer flat than downhill. no wind issues on the waterfront this past year.

LOL... I guess it goes to show it all depends on who you ask. Personally I found the wind to be a big factor in the 2008 Scotia race. Most of the other runner I talked to said that their times were about 10 minutes slower than spring or marathons they ran later in the fall and many said they thought the wind was a major factor. I also heard reports that the wind affected the elite runners too. http://www.thestar.com/article/507870

As for the medals, I prefer the scotia medal. I like the clean likes. I just think it looks classier than the Toronto marathon medals.

Overall, as others have mentionned, Scotia is a better organized and bigger event. But, Toronto IMHO is a much more scenic and desirable course to run. Personally, I found the fact that Scotia is so flat tiring on the legs because you are working the same muscles in the exact same way for 42.2K. Give me a few rolling hills to break things up a bit please!

Scotia can alse be a lot warmer as it is earlier in the season.

Either way, I think that they are both great events and you will have a good first race experience. Let us know what you pick!
Mindfulness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Wanted to say a big "thank you" to all who have responded to my query re the Scotiabank versus GoodLife marathon. The insight and recommendations are helpful.

As requested by veggierunner, will let you know which I run (barring injuries...).
nicruns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can relate!
that's a conversation i'll need to have with myself in 2010 (when i run my first marathon)...
i suppose if i was smarter (which i'm unfortunately not!)... i would have signed up for the goodlife half, since i ran the scotia half last year...
ah well.
i suppose i can still technically switch
(but i really did enjoy scotia!)

looking forward to seeing what you pick!
danziggirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the Scotiabank in 2007 and plan to do to Goodlife this year. I have also run the Scotia half twice now so it's time for a change. Someone I know ran Goodlife a few years ago and the weather was just terrible! But in the fall you just have to take your chances. It's sounds like it's a good course with lots of support which I think makes the marathon. The Scotia course spends some time under the Gardiner which is depressing and I did not enjoy the Leslie Street spit - it looked more like a dump for building material waste.
Around the Bay 2.49.22 2008
Half marathon PB Angus Glen 1.50.00.02
purdy65

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danziggirl wrote:
I ran the Scotiabank in 2007 and plan to do to Goodlife this year. I have also run the Scotia half twice now so it's time for a change. Someone I know ran Goodlife a few years ago and the weather was just terrible! But in the fall you just have to take your chances. It's sounds like it's a good course with lots of support which I think makes the marathon. The Scotia course spends some time under the Gardiner which is depressing and I did not enjoy the Leslie Street spit - it looked more like a dump for building material waste.

Absolutely. Last year, for Goodlife, the weather was perfect for running. Sunny and about 8 degrees! But I ran the half the year before in chillier temps. I don't remember it raining at all though.

The weather for Scotia last year was also nice - a bit warm even!

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: