facebook twitter Tell a Friend
SignUp
Search
En Français
Tweet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups

How far in advance do you plan your races?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I've already registered for my races:
I register last minute/ jump into them as they come
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
2-3 months in advance (spring prep)
32%
 32%  [ 26 ]
3-6 months in advance (spring goal race)
35%
 35%  [ 29 ]
6-8 months in advance (fall prep)
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
8+ months in advance (already registered for my fall goal race)
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 81

mli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: How far in advance do you plan your races? Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide re: Chinook half marathon but as it's in April I'm not sure whether or not it'll fit into my schedule. I've noticed this trend of people buying up bibs for races with caps and then re-selling them close to race day... Did all these people register "just in case"? And is this something that race directors encourage? Just curious - how far in advance do you plan your yearly race schedule/ goal race? (excluding long term goals)
Jeff_L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have fallen into making race weekends family road trip weekends, or even more exotic. We try to plan ahead by a while to keep the expenses under control.
canuck_runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually start thinking about my goal races a long time ahead. For instance I think I already know which marathons I want to do in 2008. Of course I understand that things can change and there are outside influences that can change your plans, so I'll usually don't register for my marathons until the 3-4 months prior time frame.

As for other races like local 10k's and such, those I'll register for last minute if I decide that I want to do them.
n_burke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prep in late December for a May marathon. Usually registered by early Feb. Start preparing in June for an early to mid-October marathon.
vancouvershardest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it down pat the last 2 years. I decide upon all the races I'd like to enter over the following year in December. Then I register for as many as I can as early as I can in January to get the early bird pricing. That way, it's like you get a free race over the course of the year with the money you save by not procrastinating. Some of the races I've signed up for this year are quite far away so planning travel and accomodation is the other half of it. It all takes alot of time to properly co-ordinate, never mind the training.
Underwear Affair 10km, 4th place!
Royal Victoria Half Marathon, 250th place!
James Cunningham Seawall Race, 75th place!
Las Vegas Full Marathon, 1409th place!
m_mettinen-kekalainen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a lot of time to consider which ones, where (distances to home, accomodation options) and most importantly how the races fit in with my other love Rowing.

This yr everything seems to gell in perfectly.
Next weekend I race at the Canadian Indoor Rowing Championships (in T.O CBC building -adaptive racing is @ 11AM I will be the barely bald woman wearing a white shirt "Athletes Choice" beside the even balder and short man wearing the same shirt (he is my new coach -Callen McGibbon ), if anyone wants to stop by and say ;'hi';

This works just perfectly for me, because after a weeks recovery period i will start my 12 wk 1/2 marathon road racing training in preperation for the SudburyROCKS (new flat fast course this yr, last 3 km's a slight dowhill-perfect for me),
from there I will learn if I made it to the National Adaptive team selection camp, if so the camp is 2 weeks (of recovery ) after the ROCKS race,
and then the National Team training camp in June (if I make it, if not I will race a couple of local 5 km's). Then the Worlds in Germany Aug 26-2nd of Sept (I seriously would be shocked IF I made it there, but I keeop it at the back of my mind. If I dont go, I will go to North Bay do a 15 km race and start getting ready for the PEC fulll marathon in early Oct.

So basically I have my year of racing planned...
in either direction, wether I make it to the National Adaptive rowing team or not, I have options on both paths that are interesting and encourage me to go for forward.

-minna (a little obsessive about planning things)

"It is better to regret something you have done,
rather then regretting that you didn't try"
-Hugo Lemayi
mli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minna, and the rest of you, best of luck with your races! I've decided not to do Chinook after all (sorry Ryne) and instead do Rock & Ice, which I can use as a long run. Just registered for the rest of my spring and late summer goal races though!
h_jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I have one planned out for next Jan next year, want to do the Orlando Disney goofy.

harry
May 26 Paris - St. Germaine 20k
July 21, Rock and Roll Chicago Half
Oct. 27 Rock and Roll St. Louis Half
lim314159

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan for 2008 is to sign up just before the discounted fee -- just in case I get injured. Last year, I signed up for races as soon as they were accepting on-line registration. I missed 2 races (1 due to injury).

But, I might have to reconsider my plan for 2008 since the Canada Running Series has a discount if you sign up for 2, 3, or 4 of their races before January 29th. http://www.canadarunningseries.com

http://lim314159.blogspot.com/
gottagothedista

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I sign up very early, in some cases a year in advance
IMC 04-06-08
CdnMarathonGirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "destination" marathons, I book early. I signed up for both Alaska and China a year in advance - mostly in order to ensure accomodations and travel. For closer runs, I usually wait until just before the price goes up.
ChrisBarnes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have planned to do my first race, a Mudrun after seeing the Warrior Dash but missing out on the registration for it. So my first race's planning will have been about 9 weeks. My next race is probably about a year away when the Warrior Dash comes to Ontario again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running Room Discussions Forum Index -> Races and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: